The schools have gone back and the heatwave is over but there is some good news – Pie & Pint Wednesday is back at The Crown in Hartest! Pies are so quintessentially English and just perfect at this time of year when the nights start drawing in.
Every Wednesday lunchtime and evening, you can enjoy a freshly cooked pie (choose from 3 including a vegetarian option) with mash, seasonal vegetables and gravy plus a pint of Brewshed beer, glass of wine or soft drink for £11.50.
Want to avoid that dreaded ‘soggy bottom’? Here are our top tips…
- Use a simple ratio for pastry to get perfect results – half fat to flour, half water to fat, eg 1kg flour, 250g lard, 250g butter and 250g water (do weigh for accuracy)
- A mix of lard and butter gives a shorter, crispier pastry
- Don’t try to roll the pastry too thin as the pie will lose structure but if it’s too thick it will be doughy on the inside! Aim for the thickness of a £1 coin
- Stick to a relatively thick sauce then serve more gravy on the side
- Make a decent sized whole in the lid to let steam escape
Roll on Wednesdays…